Wildlife travel in Asia and Panama
BIG news from our wildlife travel expert Jack!
“On top of our day to day business, we are very excited to be launching 3 exclusive naturalist guided research expeditions this year and next. Our philosophy of ‘travelling to conserve’ is strengthening year-on-year. Tour Operators for Tigers (TOFTigers) is a not for profit organisation protecting tigers through tourism, of which we are active members. TOFTigers has factually proven that well managed nature tourism will save ecosystems! A study has shown that a single tigress in Ranthambhore generated US $ 100m in tourism revenue for parks, villagers and businesses over a single decade. The economics is very simple, the benefits of nature tourism far outweigh the collective earnings of the local poaching community, proving to the locals that mega fauna are worth more alive than dead, thus saving their body parts from the markets of China and Vietnam.
TfT are now offering 3 set departure tours, with escorted naturalist guides, to give you an insight into the world of the big cat, and the issues surrounding their protection in 2016/17. We are including our first trip outside of Asia – ‘TfT Away’- to the remote jungles of Panama on a hunt to radio collar a Jaguar. We are the only operator to have this opportunity which is extremely special.”
These 3 exclusive naturalist guided research expeditions include:
A 10 DAY EXPEDITION TO PANAMA’S DARIEN GAP
GUIDE: RICARDO MORENO AND RAYMOND SMITH
MAX: 8 PAX
PRICE: £ 5,272 PER PERSON
TRIP TYPE: DIFFICULT
- Helicopter into the wild Darien Gap. 5000 square miles stretching from Panama province to the Colombian border, the Gap is considered Central America’s last great, untamed wilderness.
- Working with Ricardo Moreno, our naturalist guide, our objective, over the course of a one week journey, will be to trap a jaguar, in the wild, to outfit with an electronic radio collar.
- Participants on this journey will not only have the opportunity to witness scientific research, at an exceptional level – aimed at the conservation of an iconic animal whose population is near endangered today – they will also be directly involved in the research project.
- The experience will be hands on, and up close and personal, a pioneering new product in nature tourism.
A 9 DAY EXPEDITION INTO THE HEART OF INDIA
GUIDE: JACK BAUCHER
MAX: 8 PAX
PRICE: £ 3,070 PER PERSON
TRIP TYPE: MODERATE
- Tiger Populations have become so isolated that living space is few and far between (hence our name). Step into the life of a young Tiger growing up in 2016 and understand the challenges they need to overcome to survive.
- The journey will take you into the land of the ‘Jungle Book’, visiting the 3 best Tiger reserves of central India.
- We have obtained exclusive and special permission to visit one of the last remaining forest corridors essential to the survival of the Indian Tigers.
- You will explore Mowgli’s home in open top jeeps, escorted by myself alongside our accomplished and talented lodge naturalists.
A 12 DAY EXPEDITION INTO THE WILD HIMALAYAS
GUIDE: PRABIN SHRESTRA, JACK BAUCHER AND RAYMOND SMITH
MAX: 10 PAX
PRICE: £ 5,000 PER PERSON
TRIP TYPE: MODERATE TO DIFFICULT
- After the initial interest on this years trip, we are back up in upper Dolpo to camera trap Snow Leopards in the far western region of Nepal.
- Prabin, Jack and Ray will take you into the untouched lands to teach you how to camera trap the cats, giving you a first hand insight into key wildlife conservation research.
- As well as the trapping, we will identify the various habitat types and preferred prey species.
- Enjoy the magic of the region; high passes, turquoise lakes, fortified villages and Buddhist monasteries.
Which amazing wildlife adventure are you going to pick?
Click HERE to contact Jack and find out more!